11 October 2005

from the treestand at Imo . . .

There have been years that I spent most evenings and a goodly number of mornings in deer stands here in Northern Oklahoma. Here it is October 11, and this was my first venture out this year. I knocked off work at 5, ran home to shoot a few arrows with my recurve, then changed clothes, and arrived at the property promptly at 6. I was in the stand and still by 6:15. Nice breeze tonight, and the temperature was just about right - jacket weather. Not too many cars on the gravel road - I think I counted five over the 90 minutes.

Plenty of deer tracks, and there is a big boy out there. Long print, heavy - just the kind a bow hunter would like to stick in early October. But early October is just about gone, and we might as well call it mid-October. In just over two weeks I'll spend three days at McAlester, and then the next weekend, back to Burnet - this time with my rifle. There will be other bow hunts this year, but October seems to be slipping away faster than I imagined . . .

Just at dusk, there was some noise back in the trees. I straightened up, knocked an arrow, and started paying better attention. After about 15 minutes, the culprit showed herself - a squirrel. Her nest is actually about 15 feet directly over my head in the next tree. I'll be able to watch the babies in a couple of weeks. There was also a mongo spider up there in the canopy, making tonight's web. I heard quite a group of pheasants fly up to roost just behind me, and the quail were whistling at one another as they headed to roost. No deer, but all in all, a pretty good evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home