12 August 2005

paradox

You'd think by this time in my life - especially in the life of a Baptist preacher - that I would have some of the basics nailed down in terms of theological thought. Fact of the matter is, they were more nailed down when I was younger. It seems that life has a way of informing my thinking on some things - and yes, I know the dangers inherent in that reality.

Now, I'm mixing a couple of places of personal thought at this juncture - I'm watching the sermon simmer in my mind, and I'm still reeling from that wonderful performance of Bach/Gounod last night by some mentally handicapped adults in our community. Bear with me as my thoughts ramble - through my brain, and on this page.

You'd think by this time in my journey, I'd be confident on the point of whom God will save. I have come to grips with the concept that whoever is saved, God is the One Who does the saving. We can't save ourselves. I have a pastor friend, who when presented with the question "Pastor, don't you think pretty much everyone will ultimately be saved?", responds with the answer, "When it comes to that question, I find that I must separate my hope from my belief. My hope is that God will indeed save everyone - but my belief is that there's more to it than that." Generally, that's where I fall on the theological scale - I suspect that there's more to it than that, and that at least part of the equation involves some response on our part to the love of God.

But then, this week, I am confronted by two ideas. One of them, the actual words of the Apostle Paul - Romans 11:32, where he says, "For God has shut up all in disobedience that He might show mercy to all." Paul says "all." So part of the question hinges upon what your definition of "all" is. The other part of that question hinges upon what your definition of "shows mercy" is. That's the first of the ideas - Paul's words. The second idea swimming around in my head is these handicapped adults - I know a handicapped adult real well - my 25 year old son - who, when he was about 18, made as much of a uncoerced decision as he is able to make to express belief in Jesus - to the point that we actually baptized him as an expression of his faith. It was what he wanted to do. So, the question always for me hinges on our capacity to know the mind of God, married to our capacity to know our own minds. I know the easy answer - we formerly knew the concept as "the age of accountability," and it suggested that God protects fools and children - until they reach the "cognitive age" at which they are able to viably respond to God. This day, I have some question about that theory. Tomorrow, perhaps not. But today, I have questions . . .

This day, in addition to my hope, I think that God has a wider tent of mercy than any of us suspect. This day, I more or less side with my friend Robert Capon, who suggests that God's mercy will save everyone, save those few who willfully demand that they will have nothing to do with the love of God. I know that my thoughts do not influence the eternal mind of God on the matter, but that is where my temporal mind resides this day.

1 Comments:

At 23 August, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor, thank you so much for saying this. I was raised a Baptist "big time"(Sunday morning, Sunday evening, Wednesdsay bible study and choir practice)but I don't practice anymore. I turned out to be a liberal and that didn't quite go with the Church I knew then. I am slowly making my way back into a Congregation - knowing there are Baptists ministers who think as you do helps me. - Thanks. Deb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home