11 August 2005

The Rehearsal

I don't suspect that Johann Sebastian Bach and Charles Gounod had any idea that angels would perform their music this evening.

I had just finished up our Habitat board meeting this evening, and I looked up to see my daughter standing there - in the Episcopal church!! I knew immediately that she was there on Music Therapy business. She asked me to stay - and I did.

Seven angels - each of whom lives with a significant mental handicap - filed into the sanctuary at St. Matthew's, and took their places behind the handbell tables. Their conductor, Elizabeth reminded them to put on their white gloves, which they did. My daughter was at the piano. Elizabeth reminded them to wait to lift their handbells to the playing position as a group - in a single motion. That part could still use some work.

Then the music began. I did a degree in Music Education from Baylor. I have sung in some tremendous choirs. I have had the privilege to listen to some of the most talented groups of people in the world perform some of the most magnificant music ever penned. I am currently the president of our local symphony association - but this . . . this was the most beautiful music I have ever heard.

I suspect that Bach and Gounod expected talented, sophisticated people to play this music. These angels tonight are really neither. One rocked back and forth in the manner of those with autism. Two or three more or less stared out in space - seemingly oblivious, but obviously tuned into exactly what their role was in making this most beautiful music. They have learned, and music works its magic in their souls. You could tell that what was going on was a holy moment . . .

I am so very proud of Chelsea for her chosen profession. She was raised as the younger sibling to a mentally handicapped brother (who really loves music), and she has a significant heart for this sort of "ministry." This is what God put her on this earth for - to minister the music of all souls to the souls of those who are different - as well as to the souls of those who are in need and hurting.

I love music. Tonight, I love the music of life - made by all of God's children . . .

4 Comments:

At 12 August, 2005, Blogger Leslee said...

Wow, what a treat. Anyway you might get a private concert at Cornerstone some day?

 
At 12 August, 2005, Blogger Dr. Mike Kear said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12 August, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would put my vote into the hat as well, it is rare that angels visit and a Cornerstone Angel forum might be just the thing...

 
At 14 August, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you all for your interest! I will see what I can do! And to my earthly father, there is nothing more special for me than to know that you know that I'm doing what my calling is...for my Father! These people that I work with each week, truly are incredible!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home