03 August 2005

Kudos to Gary

I'm trying to get in a little more fishing this month - my boat was wondering where I was during the month of July.

Last night, friend Gary and I were fishing. I had a brand new reel, secured to a new rod. We were drifting along the west wall at Canton Lake, and so I decided to trail a lure behind us in the hope of catching a walleye. About three minutes after I tossed the lure out, we heard a loud bump, and my rod and reel were gone. I assumed it has snagged on the bottom, and so we hurriedly turned around to attempt a rescue.

We anchored just about where the "accident" happened, rigged a pole each with something that could drag the bottom, and then started casting. 10 minutes passed, and nothing. A new, $50 reel, sunk on the first outing. Gary suggested that we re-rig and troll back and forth a few times. I was getting a little frustrated at "wasting" our fishing time trying to compensate for my stupidity, but I followed his advice. On the third pass through the area, Gary hooked what he thought was a rather large fish. He was right, but his line slid up another line, and voila . . . my rod and reel. And there was a fish on the lure. A large drum - we didn't keep him.

So, kudos to Gary for his knowledge, his tenacity and his casting ability.

He did enjoy kidding me about the whole matter for the rest of the evening. But, as I am constantly learning, that's true friendship . . . I would do the same for him - in all respects. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home