29 July 2005

addendum to "filtering"

and then sometimes . . .

First, a little practicality. One of the best things about e-mail, or online journaling, is that the author is afforded the opportunity to preview his work before it is set out there for all to peruse. I have written a few harsh correspondences, only to hit the delete key, and then pen something altogether appropriate for the occasion. Harder to do that with the spoken word. Somehow, the exercise of having written what you think sometimes alleviates the need to actually hit the print key . . .

Then, a little philosophy. I wish I could remember the name of the preaching coach who said, "No sermon is every really finished . . ." That is oh, so true. An idea is generated, then study happens, something is put on page, edited, and finally, the presentation - the delivery. My sister says that "preaching is like delivering a baby on Sunday, only to discover on Monday that you're pregnant again." But after the delivery comes the evaluation, and the evaluation always indicates that more (or less) could have been said, and could have been said in a different way.

Pondering my musings from yesterday on "filtering," it occurs to me that I hit the "print" key a little early - as in, I thought of something else. Thus, the addendum. Here it is . . .

For years, I tried to journal. Taking pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard, I attempted to write something of my innermost feelings and thoughts so that . . . Evidently, so that nothing!! I could never stay with this task. Something about it fell short of my expectations. I never kept with it more than a few days, at most. Looking back in one of my "journals," I notice that most of my entries begin with something like "well, let's try this again!"

Then comes the world of cyberspace journaling. For six weeks now, I have written nearly every day. What makes the difference?? It must be that perhaps, someone else will read my thoughts. Which of course makes me pause to ask the question, "am I inclined to care what others think more than what I think?", and the parallel question, "am I so inclined as to need others to know what I am thinking?"

And then I wonder what the psychiatrist would say about that?

Sojourning off to the lake to do a little fishing with my brother, my nephew, and one other lad from the church. This week's sermon is simmering on the back burner, as yet unwritten . . .

2 Comments:

At 29 July, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am constantly amazed by how much time and effort goes into preparing a sermon, talk or speech. But you can always tell who didn't do their homework, and I can safely say that you always seem like you do yours.

I also find it amazing how you and others can have so much to blog about. Perhaps I don't devote enough time to the "big questions" and spend too much time on the little petty crap of my day to day exsistance. Sure there are moments when I feel a rant coming on, but rarely to I actually allow myself to indulge.

Keep up the good work, hope you catch that BIG FISH!

 
At 29 July, 2005, Blogger Dr. Mike Kear said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home