11 August 2005

I promised you a picture

I have one of my good friends on the task - they took the picture, but we are having a hard time getting it in a file that is small enough (I suspect) for blogger to upload. So, until then, you'll have to do with another fishing story. (If you are squeemish, you might want to check in another day.)

Friend Gary and I went out to Canton on Tuesday night. Arrived at 5:45 pm (we don't get up early for fishing), transferred everything from the truck to the boat, were ready to launch, and "yeowwww" - Gary embedded a hook in one of his fingers. From my rod set up. I cut the line, and then we found needle nose pliers and clipped the lure from the hook. But it was really in there - to the point that he wasn't going to be able to back it out - on account of the barb. So . . . the choice was to push it through. Trouble was - it hadn't broken through the skin on the other side yet. We deadened it with a little ice, and then he got started. I was of little help. It took about ten minutes - this was ginger stuff, don't you know. Slowly, oh so very slowly, he curled the hook so that it peeked through the skin in another location, and then he was able to grasp the pointed end and pull it out. It reminded me of the scene in Lonesome Dove where Augustus has P.I. push the arrows through his knee - Robert Duvall deserved some kind of lifetime achievement award for his acting in that scene. Anyway, Gary is my new tough guy hero.

Then we caught 25 fish.

3 Comments:

At 11 August, 2005, Blogger Dr. Mike Kear said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12 August, 2005, Blogger Leslee said...

It sounds like Gary might be a little dangerous to be around!

 
At 12 August, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you guys would just take along a physician this would not have been a problem. The use of modern anesthetics would have been appropriate here. As a full professor, I could have given you the lecture on how the biochemical pathway was blocked with the local anesthetic...it would have been an educational endeavor...but do you guys ever ask the professor along to go fishing...no...never...why is that...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home