01 June 2006

my life . . .

just a snapshot of my life this week . . .

Rain - Lynn is trying to finish painting the pool, and we are getting rain. I am mowing every fourth day. I awoke at 4:15 this morning, turned on the Weather Channel, saw that there was a line of showers lined up west of town, and then crawled back in bed. I can fish tomorrow . . .

which means, of course, that I need to write the sermon this afternoon. Pentecost. Baptists, perpetually afraid of the Holy Spirit, have great difficulty with this Sunday. In planning the worship service yesterday, I noticed the dirth of great hymns of the faith regarding the Spirit. Such a travesty . . .

We had a wonderful first session of our children's Summer DAZE - this is our version of Vacation Bible School. We meet every other Tuesday, and it's more like a summer day camp - we do have bible lessons, then there is some kind of mission action project, we have some kind of "crafty" activity, and there is something fun for the kids to do. This year our theme is "Children of the Bible: Fishing Poles Optional." Tuesday we took a look at Miriam (O.T.) and Timothy (N.T. - yeah, I know Timothy was a stretch as a "children," but we did it anyway). Then we went to the local Soup Kitchen to serve a meal to the homeless and generationally poor of Enid. Back to the church to meet with our CBFO Coordinator, "T" Thomas (real live missionary), and then we wrote pen pal letters to children at the Ruth School in Romania. All in all a good day. This way of doing Bible School is, in my opinion, the perfect prototype for small churches.

Beyond all this, and the occasional fishing trip, life consists of home and church maintenance issues. The trees have been trimmed, the shrubs still need it. The back fence needs mending, and the garden is a shambles (I'm not planting this year - just killing weeds for the entire summer). And I must do something about my dog pens before Saturday, because . . .
I'm going to pick up . . . . . . . . . Amy.
BTW - something about Blogger will still not let me post pictures. I may have to have a friend do so - I suspect it's something in my computer blocking access. I'll let you know.
time to focus on the sermon - "When the Advocate comes . . . "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home