19 October 2005

I swear I can see Kansas from here . . .

Okay, maybe that's an exageration, but I bet I can see forty miles to the north.

Yesterday I hung a tree stand about fifteen up in an old, old cedar, on top of a hill, out west of Fairview. Boy, they named that town right. It certainly is a fair view. And from my view, I can see a fair distance. On the actual property, I can see about as far as I can shoot in several directions. From the initial perspective, quite a bit better than last year on the same property. Down side is that I fear my cell phone works from up there.

And I contacted the land owner up at Jefferson, and he will allow me again to hunt on his property. I rather know those two quarter sections like the back of my hand, and it's pretty good pheasant property. Crockett will be happy to have a place to point birds - one more year. This will be year number eight for him and me. I may have to get a pup and start training.

I can't explain the fascination satisfactorily to those who do not enjoy hunting. It's not so much the harvesting of animals - that's the gravy - it's the hunt, the chase, the strategy - and it's the solitude, the scenery, the time away - refreshment for the soul. Right now, I need that - more than I have ever noticed before.

3 Comments:

At 19 October, 2005, Blogger Leslee said...

"...and it's the solitude, the scenery, the time away - refreshment for the soul. Right now, I need that - more than I have ever noticed before."

I know what you mean, Doc. I know what you mean. But don't tell Pontious, he'll probably have some comment about us getting older or something... lol!

 
At 19 October, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so jealous that you were in Fairview, OK. I bet you didn't know that I was born in that fine town. BTW, this is Whitney Graham, and I have really enjoyed reading your blog. I hope your family is doing well.

 
At 19 October, 2005, Blogger the sojourning pilgrim said...

Whitney,

I knew that Steve had served there, but I was unaware (except for the sign on the outskirts of town that says, "Home of Whitney Graham") that you were born there.

I drive through often, usually stopping at Sonic or Taco Mayo on my way back from Canton Lake.

The family is fine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home