15 March 2006

Missing the Mark

A part of the definition of sin that they told me when I was a child was that of "missing the mark." Well, my intended goal for Lent this year was to blog every day, save Sundays, on something spiritual. Thus far, I have accomplished half of that goal - every day that I have actually blogged, I have said something at least quasi-spiritual.
Sunday afternoon, I hooked up with the Marquette students who are in town working with our local Habitat chapter. Monday morning we started framing a new house. Monday night I could not move. Tuesday morning was worse - Tuesday evening even worse than that. I am really out of shape for this kind of intense physical labor. Today it got a little better, but I've been taking naproxen sodium for two days . . .
I will say two spiritual things. First, these kids are great. We speak of the way that our young people are so bad - well, I tell you it isn't all true. Here we have 15 great kids, taking their spring break on a mission trip to build a house for someone else. Great kids - they breathe a little life into my tired soul every year.
The second thing is this. About Sunday, I ran in to the Lenten wall of failure. By that I mean that I had been working at identifying areas of my life where sin had crept in, and by Sunday, I had just about enough - and started to remember that working at removing my sin is hard work - I almost want to give up and give in, and then I remember to lean on the grace of Christ. We are saved by His grace - not by our work - even our work at not sinning. That's good news.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home