06 March 2006

Lenten Devotion - Part One

Once a month I attend a Pastor's Peer Group meeting in the Oklahoma City area. It takes pretty much the entire day. Generally I leave Enid before 9:00 am, and return sometime after 3:30 pm. On the trip to and from, I make use of the window time by catching up with friends via cell phone. All in all, it's generally worth the investment of my time each month.
Devotion. Devotion requires a commitment of time. I could say that I am a part of this group, but if I don't attend - don't take the time to make the trip and actually be with the other guys - can I really claim to be a part of this group.
Perhaps the simplist observation of devotion is that devotion requires a commitment of time. So, I have to ask myself - am I devoted to God.
For a full-time minister, the idea of devotion has to go beyond the 40 hour work week. Certainly I think about God - a lot - but much of that is simply part of the job. What sort of devotion do I have to God? Do I give of personal time? Do I invest time daily in maintaining the relational aspect of my faith walk? Would I still serve God, even if I were'nt a minister? All good questions.
Lent reminds us that devotion takes time. For the believer, we do not give of our time to God grudgingly - rather, we look with anticipation to those moments and hours we can spend with God in prayer, praise, study and service.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home