03 March 2006

What Lenten message to put on the marquee . . .

I've gotten lazy about the church marquee. Not that folks are complaining, mind you. Most people I hear from about our marquee rave about the messages we put out there. But I've gotten lazy - on the south side of the board, I post the sermon title each week, and on the north side I keep a seasonal statement - the present statement has been up for two months. It reads "The light of the world is Jesus" - a reflection of the general theme of Epiphany.

But now we are in Lent, and I need to change the message. What to put . . .

I think I'll go with the words from Psalm 51 - "Create in me a clean heart, O God."
Therein lies the message of Lent - at least for my life this year. A clean heart is a creation of God - we can't do it. We try, but we come up woefully short of our goal. God desires that we approach God with clean hearts, and God is willing to process that life with us. God starts the process - as a result of our desire and request.

1 Comments:

At 03 March, 2006, Blogger Leslee said...

a clean heart is a good thing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home