21 March 2006

Back to the grind . . .

After most of the week off from blogging (due to my work with the Marquette Students on the Habitat house), it's back to the grind . . .

Some observations from the week and the weekend - hopefully spiritual in nature. The week was tremendous - the Marquette students accomplished so very much, and friendships were established. They painted the inside of one house, and framed the floor level of another - all in all a pretty good week. As they prepared to roll out of town, they gave me a picture of all of us gathered in front of the house we framed - I love these annual pictures - they give me so much to remember. I spent a week with Catholic students, and come away blessed. Catholics know so much more than do we Baptists about serving others - they come by it rather naturally. It is always a privilege.

The weekend was tremendous. My childhood pastor, Dr. Presnall Wood, was our guest speaker at Cornerstone. I haven't been able to spend much time with Dr. Wood since college - it was good to listen to him preach. He did a thing for us on Separation of church and state - we did get it on DVD. I think he was impressed with Cornerstone. Much of my extended family was here - Tracy and her bunch came over from Hereford, Rusty and his two kids came down from Wichita, and Mom was here. The church had a blast, and all is well with my soul . . . except . . .

back to the grind. Lent isn't over. I am re-determined to practice the discipline of self-introspection. Last night I watched "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" - we are viewing this as an assignment for our Pastor Peer Group meeting in two weeks. I love the line at the end of the trial of the local parish priest. "Father, I pronounce you guilty. You are free to go." Watch the movie - you'll be touched. Just don't watch it before you go to bed.

Starbucks opens Friday, March 31. Hiring new employees. I wonder if they need a chaplain . . .???

1 Comments:

At 24 March, 2006, Blogger David Flick said...

Richard,

Thanks for loaning me "The Exorcism of Emily Rose". I look forward to discussing it at the Peer Group. Interesting...

-- David

 

Post a Comment

<< Home