29 March 2006

about 1/2 point Calvinist

Calvinism is all the rage, especially among neo-orthodox Baptists. I do not count myself among the latter - my Baptist heritage would speak to principled belief which shies away from neo-orthodoxy. Anyway, be that as it may, I have been asked to speak from time to time about my understanding and belief in Calvinist doctrines. I usually respond by saying that I am "about 1/2 point Calvinist." Let me explain.
Five point Calvinism is most easily explained through the acrostic T.U.L.I.P. Those speaking points refer to these ideas. "T" - Total depravity - the idea that man, in his essence, is without any hope, totally depraved, in need of salvation from without; "U" - unconditional election - God chooses whom God will redeem, apart from any determinable concept other than God's choice; "L" - limited atonement - Christ died for those who will be saved (meaning that Christ did not die for those who will not be saved); "I" - irresistible grace - any resistance man might attempt to effect in response to God's offer of salvation is without power (we cannot resist the grace of God); and "P" - perseverance of the saints - any person who God has chosen for salvation will ultimately persevere to the end, and will receive salvation. Many would argue and/or disagree with my analysis of these doctrines, but this brief explanation captures the general sense of the overall doctrine.
I don't buy any of the last four of those doctrinal ideas, and so I think that I am about 1/2 point calvinist - my belief comes from Psalm 51:5 - "Indeed, I was born guilty, a sinner when my mother conceived me." The psalmist indicates that we were born in sin. We possess a nature that is sinful. None of us were born without this nature. Romans 3:23 - "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Another proof-text.
I swallow about half of that. As a student of educational psychology, I acknowledge the role of "nature" in the development of the individual. But I also acknowledge the role of "nurture" as well. That is always the debate in ed. psy. circles - "Nature vs. nurture." And to further complicate the issue, I see man's goodness and badness in both "nature" and "nurture." I am not a proponent of the idea that man has no good within him with which to respond to God - we are given faith capacity with which to respond, thus, for me, discounting this idea of "total" depravity.
This verse from psalm 51 reminds us of our need for God. It also reminds me of our ability to respond to God.

1 Comments:

At 30 March, 2006, Blogger Dr. Mike Kear said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home