08 September 2005

doing a little more . . .

I was speaking with a friend this evening about plans I am making to help those who have been displaced by Katrina. I was hoping to solicit involvement from others in various projects over the coming year. My friend responded by saying, "There's plenty for us to do right here in our town."

He's right. We could all forget Katrina, and still have plenty to do. But the fact of the matter is that Katrina has devasted part of our nation, and we must respond. So, I said to my friend, "Yes, we have plenty to do here - and now we have some more to do there."

There are roughly 280 million of us in this country. Around 1 million have been displaced by this disaster. That means that the other 279 million of us are going to have to do a little more, for a little while. I don't know what that means for others - for me, it means that I will go and work, and I will try to get others to go and work with me. I will give money and do without something I thought I needed - and I will encourage others to do the same. It is going to take all of us - not just some of us - if we are to really help our sisters and brothers who have been affected by this disaster.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home