29 August 2005

A New, New Testament

On kinda a roll here . . .

I spoke with Tracy this morning. She had a pretty good sermon this week - check it out. Anyway, she asked me the question that she asks me every week - way too early in the week - "What ya gonna do Sunday?" I never know the answer to that question on Monday. She's interested in the gospel for this week, but I did that last time around (I think). I gave her my two cents on "future perfect pharaphrastic" tense for Matthew 17, and she seemed duly unimpressed. Then I noticed the Romans text - that's where I'll be headed this week.

I'm always on the lookout for bloggable material - and this is where she made her mistake. She said, "I'm ready for a new bible - running out of things to say about this one." (I'm sure that's not a completely accurate quote - and I'll probably hear from her on this one) I've heard, and thought, that very thing before. I'm pushing 50, and I've heard all these stories. What's hard for me to remember is that everyone else hasn't heard all these stories. So, I still have a job . . .

But it gets you to thinking - what if Jesus really did want to tell us something new? Oh, I know that some others think He already did, but I don't really buy it. But what if He did want to tell us something new? What would He say, and how would he get us to put it down on paper? Tim, I want to hear from you on this one!!

By the way - sister Tracy puts her two cents in for a New, Old Testament - she really likes those kind of stories!!

1 Comments:

At 31 August, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard.

I love having this discussion when ti comes around so often. If we were given the tak of compiling a next testament, or writings and stories that were significant to be authoritative narratives for the last 200 years, and let's say we had to keep to approxamately the length of the New Testament, what writings and stories would we include? MArtin of Tours, Benedict, A'Kempis, Milton, Dante, Luther, Zwingli, Grebel, Barth, Bonhoeffer, Lewis, Yoder, Graham, Tutu...

And what about third world voices?

When I give Bibles to kids I often write in the opening page that they should read these stories and then go and help create the next testament, the next part of the story being fashioned in the minutes of their lives.

I do think tracy's commnent was very funny. --Tim (www.anabaptistmonk.org)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home