18 August 2005

lazy day musings

Thursday is supposed to be my day off. About three years ago, I really integrated into community service activities - boards and committees and that kind of stuff - and so a regular day off has rather gone by the wayside. Instead, I have settled into a more haphazard work schedule - more or less putting in some time every day at the office, and catching opportunities to do yard work and take the boat to the lake when opportunity presents itself. Not complaining, mind you - there is a degree to which this is personal choice. For the most part, Thursday remains a lazier day than most.

Now, for some fun. Maybe it's part of the way that I'm dealing with Dad's death, but I find I want to laugh at death a little right now. And the way that need/want is manifesting itself is seeing humor in the funeral home and cemetary industry. I mentioned one the other day - I saw a "Yard Sale" sign affixed right beside one of the local cemetaries. I guess you really don't take it with you!! I stopped in on some other business just yesterday at another of our local cemetaries - they have recently installed a crematory (a first for Enid) - and I noticed that the owner also keeps a chimenea and pinon wood in the same room. Hmmmm!! Then this morning, I noticed a mobile home parked out back of another of our local funeral homes. Makes you kinda wonder who's going where, and who they're taking with them. Will there be camping fees??

School started today for our locals. There is change in the air - and I notice this fall that the change of fall is perhaps the most abrupt change we endure - school, that first cold snap, rapidly fading daylight hours, a renewal of busy energies going a multitude of directions, High School football. We ease into winter, spring, and summer - but fall arrives with an announcement, and then settles into a wonderful season.

Enjoy the day, and thank God for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home