20 July 2005

Customer service????

OK!! I know I had a good week at camp last week. And I know it's a full moon right now. And I know this makes me sound like an old timer - but - has customer service gone the way of the stage coach??

Just today:

(1) one spoof e-mail from an ebay lookalike,

(2) then couldn't get anyone to come out of the back room at Subway, so

(3) I left and went next door to (drum roll, and don't laugh at me) Little Caesars - the young man moved to the counter - no words from him - from me "do you have a hot and ready?" - "Yep" - "What kind do you have?" "Pepperoni or cheese" "I'll have a pepperoni, please?" He rings it up - the register shows $5.42. Still, no words from him. I just hand him the cash. Still, no word - but he spoke a minute ago in response to my question, so I know he isn't a mute. He hands me my change. I say, "Thank you." Still no words!!!!!! So, I ask, "Do they teach you to say thank you?" He mumbles the words, and I so I am compelled to say, "You are rather rude, you know." He flashes me a cryptic half-grin, and turns to "help" the next customer.

Maybe its just me, but I think I ought to be allowed, by law, to gather a few friends, and take him out into the street for a public stoning.

Just grinching, but I'd love to hear some of your similar stories.

5 Comments:

At 20 July, 2005, Blogger thankyoudarlin said...

Sorry -- no similar experiences can be found in my town. We train each and every one of our restaurant and store employees to be extra courteous. I'm telling you . . . when it smells this bad, they HAVE to be sweet!

 
At 20 July, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny story, only because I can picture how quietly relentless yu must have been with your eye contact. --Tim

 
At 21 July, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A sign that old-fartism has arrived: When you expect the pizza guy to speak intelligently or politely to you.

Made me smile today.

k

 
At 21 July, 2005, Blogger Cindy said...

We must both be graduating into Old-Fartism because I was just commenting this week about how people in customer service should act like they like people or perhaps their jobs, even if they don't. I was always taught that you treated the customer with respect and they were always right. Surely, I'm not THAT old!!

I went to Sonic a while back and the girl brought out our stuff, no smile, not polite, nothing. We asked for some extra ketchup or something and she came back out the same way, drooping & unhappy. I was talking all sweet, saying "Thank you" real loud and such, hoping she'd catch the hint. When she walked away without saying anything, I yelled, "It wouldn't hurt you to smile!" My husband just cringed. He hates it when I do that. She came back and apologized and said she was having a bad day. I, then, felt like poo for making it worse.

Then there's the story about the Beautyco worker, the broken bottle of hair stuff, and the words I don't usually use in public...but we'd better not go into that. I wouldn't want to tarnish my reputation.

 
At 22 July, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like opportunity for ministry to me...we are called to be the salt of the earth...that may start with taking the risk of say "Man, you seem distracted today, is there something that I can help you with"

Now mind you, I hardly ever practice what I preach...but when I do, the light of the world touches people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home