07 January 2007

pace . . .

What you see as title is pronounced "pache" - it is from the latin for peace, and in the churches this morning, it was offered as greeting from each christian to one another as you and I would say, "Mornin'." There is an ancient christian tradition called "passing the peace," and I experienced that very thing this morning.

We left the house just before 9. Went to Timotei's church, and there we sent Larry on his way with Timotei's associate, and Tomotei and I left for the "granddaughter" church (church started out of a church that they started several years ago). There were about 30 in this little mission, and they were already underway when we arrived. We were introduced, and I brought a short message from Romans 1:16-17 - "For I am not ashamed of the gospel . . ." Then we returned to Timotei's church, and I preached to 1000 people in a rather large sanctuary. The 100 voice choir was magnificent, we shared communion (I kept my little cup - just slipped it into my jacket pocket), and then I preached a little longer sermon from Romans 8 - "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared to the glory that is to be revealed in us . . ." Afterwards, I stood at the back of the church and shook hands with about 700 of the 1000 who were present. Pace, pace . . .

I am impressed by these Romanian Christians - they do more with quite meager resources than we ever thought about doing with our rather vast resources. Their's is not a faith of convenience - they really rely on their faith, their church, a word about the gospel - to dispel some of the physical gloom they experience every day. Most of these people are poor - there's no simple way to say it.

More later, it's time for lunch . . .

1 Comments:

At 16 January, 2007, Blogger Leslee said...

Pace!

Just don't get use to those 100 voice choirs. I don't see it happening soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home