23 December 2006

On the eve before Christmas eve . . .

Just a couple of thoughts about the season . . .

Many are adept at making much to do about the "reason for the season." So much of the ballyhoo comes from the integration of politics into Christianity. My concerns are somewhat deeper than all of that . . .

And they follow, somewhat, the themes for my two sermons tomorrow. That's right - I am preaching twice tomorrow!! What a concept. Regular morning worship, and our traditional Christmas Eve. service. I hope faithful Christians will attend evening services, even though they've "already been to church" that day . . .

The two themes - A.M. worship takes off on the Micah text - "little Bethlehem", and the gospel - the "smallness of the child" within Mary - to contemplate the smallness of the good news within all of us. Nothing grandious - Christ comes into our hearts in small ways. The title is "from one of the little clans," and I will have something of a special word for my church regarding God's choice of us to bear the "good news."

P.M. worship - takes off on the scriptural statement - first given by Isaiah, and later restated by the shepherds - "for unto us . . ." The gospel is for us. I don't think we really stop to contemplate that truth sometimes. It is "for us." Plenty to ponder there, me thinks.


I wish you a wonderful Christmas celebration - with family, friends, fellow worshippers.

2 Comments:

At 28 December, 2006, Blogger Tripp Hudgins said...

How did it go?

 
At 28 December, 2006, Blogger the sojourning pilgrim said...

Thanks for asking, friend. I think both services went swimmingly . . . Of course, I always love our Christmas Eve service. It wasn't as well attended this year as last - but many more of our folks were traveling. We always have a lot of extended family with us, and of course our college kiddos are home.

Blessings on you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home