27 January 2006

tell me it ain't so . . .

Well, there you have it - they are cancelling the "West Wing." The article I read in the paper this morning says that there are seven shows left, they will end with the inauguration of the new president, and then, adios.
My grief occurs on so many levels. This show was, in my opinion, the smartest series that has come out. Wonderful story lines, intriguiging exposure to the way things work in our government, great character development and interaction - I have taped the show from the second season, and have looked forward each week to coming home from church on Wednesday night and watching.
But then, they gave it the death blow. They changed nights. Okay, tell me what show, so late in it's established career, has profited from a change of night. Some shows have done better after they changed nights, but that always seems to be early. What was wrong with Wednesday night. The networks need to get a clue that people watch shows, at least in part, out of habit - and part of that habit is what night they come on.
Here's the larger problem. For the first time in my 48+ years, there is not a show that I really want to watch - week in and week out. I have tired of ER, I'm not in to the cop and detective shows, etc. I'll watch Survivor, and maybe even the Donald - but you can watch those reality shows about twice a season, and get most of what goes on. Television is finally becoming a vast wasteland for your's truly.
I guess it's time to build my second garage/workshop, and become a cabinet builder.

2 Comments:

At 27 January, 2006, Blogger thankyoudarlin said...

It's time to try "Commander in Chief!" I love it even more than West Wing. Hmmm . . . wonder why . . .

 
At 30 January, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a sad announcment, but I felt it was time, and it pains me to admit it. And I only thought the show could continue if they elected Vinick, which would have presented an entire new set of conflicts ideologically. A Santos staff could have dealt somewhat more with race and a younger culture, but I think Sorkin and the writing team mined the Dems issues fairly well. over the last six years. So I'm sad, but it would have been even sadder to watch the show flounder.

So, whose going to win? Santos? Vinick?

Now onto Darlin's comment about Commander in Chief:

I too love Madam President Allen, but the show just has not acheived the level of gravitas that WW did, and so far the conflicts she encounters always end up resolved in superior fashion. What was nice about the West Wing was its willingness to let thse characters fail. I want Commander in Chief to suceed because I need my presidential fix, but they need to bring some nuance to the writing or it will fade away after two seasons, about the time her term runs out! And Zack Morris as a politcal operative? His charcter is a cartoonish sleeze. Ugh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home