17 December 2005

Wading in . . .

Ok. I've listened to this argument enough - I've even preached a sermon last week stating that I understand all the various points of view, and rather agree with their points. But enough is enough - and so I am wading in on the "Merry Christmas" vs. "Happy Holidays" argument.
From the get go, I am a Baptist. Not the kind of fundamentalist, Disney boycotting, lock-step thinking, married to the government kind of Baptist that is so prevalent these days. No, I was reared in a church that respected distance between the government and the church, and taught me that separation of church and state was a good thing. I do not think the government should have anything to do with the way that I practice my faith, and I certainly don't want them telling me how or when I should pray. When the government and the church get too close to each other, inevitably the government interferes. And when the church tries to influence the government too much - i.e. force their beliefs on the government of all people, trouble brews.
Don't get me wrong. During this blessed time of the year, I will offer a hearty "Merry Christmas" to nearly every one I meet - except in those rare instances when I am aware that the other party has a faith tradition which does not acknowledge or celebrate Christmas. In those instances, I will probably offer just as hearty a "Happy Holidays" or maybe even a "Have a wonderful holiday season." I will do what I think Jesus would do, and respect the other person and his/her faith tradition or practice.
So - I was watching CNN this morning, and they did a news story about how some of the retailers are starting to see an effect on their profits because Christians are boycotting their stores because the retailers opted to instruct their sales people to wish customers a "Happy Holidays" this year. I think "Christians" are making a big mistake when we try to coerce faith or faith expressions. Didn't we learn anything from the Crusades of the Middle Ages? You can't force another person to believe something, and in fact, when you force them to act like they believe something (just so you'll feel better about things) you have actually done them and the kingdom of God a disservice.
Shame on "Christians" who think that boycotting a store because they won't say "Merry Christmas" is the best way, or even a good way, to spread the gospel. Rather, offer to them the kindness of Christ, accept a sales person's "Happy Holidays," and say, ". . .and a Merry Christmas to you" right back to them.
It's time Christian people started acting like it . . .

3 Comments:

At 17 December, 2005, Blogger Leslee said...

Thank you thank you thank you! I can't agree with you more! I'm tired of people telling me to buy stuff here or not buy stuff here, don't buy gas on this day so we can stick it to "the man". Give me a break! Just because an employee of a company doesn't say MERRY CHRISTMAS to me isn't a good enough reason to not shop there! I'll not shop there if they treat me bad, treat my family bad, or have gross stuff.

People in my office the other day were talking about how they were boycotting and I just rolled my eyes at them and walked out of the room. No sense trying to tell them how silly they were being.

 
At 22 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said. Thanks.

Hey, if you have a minute, well nine of 'em, I preached on the subject.

http://www.anglobaptist.org/blog/archives/2005/12/a_sermon_podcas_1.html

It is a nine minute podcast, but I am proud of it. I think we Christians need not fear such "secular" symbols as trees and even fat men in red suits. We should do what we always have: find God in them.

Merry Christmas, sir.

 
At 26 December, 2005, Blogger thankyoudarlin said...

Blog, dang it. It's been WEEEEKKKSSSSS!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home