06 July 2005

Perhaps my favorite title

I love it when one of my nieces or nephews calls me "Uncle Richard." It may be my favorite of all of my "titles." This week it has been my sister's daughter, Anna, calling out my name.

Anna is six. It's been a long time since we had a six year old in the house. I can't decide if she reminds me more of my daughter or my sister, both when they were much younger. Out of our clan, all of the six year old girls are pretty much the same . . .

Two rather cute vignettes from this week. Sunday was the church anniversary. We put our anniversary cake on the altar table. One of the young girls in the church fussed at me for sticking my finger in the cake, right in front of her. "How come you get to do that?!" I responded, "When you get to be pastor, you can get away with the same thing." To which she responded, "A woman pastor????" Then Anna chimed in - "Hey, my Momma's a pastor." Which, of course, is the truth. Hmmmm.

Then it doesn't get any cuter than this - Anna has been away from home, and from my efforts to spoil her, and get back at her mother for all she did to my kids when they were young, I have been letting Anna eat just about anything she wanted for these days at my house. Cake, donuts, popcorn, more donuts. So, tonight, after dinner, she was singing in the living room. It was the tune to "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus in the morning, Jesus at the noon time, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus when the sun goes down." The second verse repeats "Praise Him" rather than "Jesus." You've heard it before, I'm sure. Anyway, Anna was singing this tune in the living room, but she changed the words again. "Pudding, pudding, pudding in the morning . . ."

She may not get to sojourn with Uncle Richard again - at least not any time soon. Ya think???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home