02 July 2005

The time of my life

Like a lot of bloggers I'm reading today, I've been at the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship General Assembly in Grapevine Texas. This group of Baptists is so easy to get along with - I love the pace of their annual meeting. If you are unaware of this group, take the time to check them out.

I moved into the house I live in 12 years ago today. We moved from Houston to join the staff of the First Baptist Church here in Enid. 12 years . . . That's one fourth of my life. Who'd ever thunk it??

And then I open up another blog that takes me to a website - this death test - where I can punch in a little data, and discover statistically how much life I am likely to have remaining. Turns out I will die by February of 2040, at the ripe age of 82.85. Then they say this - "You have 12,635 days of life remaining. You have lived 58% of your life."

I have a chaplain/minister friend here in town who told me once that I am more aware of the calendar than anyone he knows. Maybe he's right - some years ago - when I obviously had too much unwasted time on my hands - I did a little calculation. Turns out that 10,000 days of life comes 18 days before your 27 1/2 birthday, and thus 20,000 days comes 36 days before your 55th birthday. Add 27.5 to that, and you come up with 54 days before your 82 1/2 birthday is when you reach 30,000 days. You can check my math if you want - but that would be sad on your part. Almost all of us see 10,000 days. Most of us see 20,000 days. It is becoming the rare person who sees 30,000 days of life. By my calculations, I'll just pass that number . . .

I remember telling some parents that from the day your child comes into your home until they reach 18, you have 6575 days. How many of those can a parent afford to waste. If your child learns one really important thing from you a day, are there not more than 6575 really important things to know??

So, I'm down to my last 35 years or so of life. What might I accomplish in that time frame??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home