22 June 2005

A non a moose ?????

Those who know me best know that I love words. One of my friends at the church refers to me as the "walking thesaurus."

More or less (and just what does that phrase mean??), I use the language correctly. But I like to play with the language as well. I like to make up words, to use colloquialisms (I had to look that one up to see how many "l's" there were), and to study etymology.

I started thinking about that word - anonymous. Here's the way my mind works. Break the word down with me. A non a moose. Isn't it in French that the word "non" means "not?" And we know what a moose is. Moose (should the plural be "meese?") are rather solitary members of the "deer" family. Male moose are extremely solitary - after they are weaned and sent away from mama, they only encounter other males to fight for breeding rights with the famales (which is pretty much the only time they encounter the females). So, if we put the word back together, it would mean "not a moose." Well, that actually doesn't work for my purpose today, so I turn it around - "I am not a moose, so why would I want to remain anonymous (a non a moose).

You can actually arrive at pretty much the same conclusion by using Webster. "anon" - immediately, or soon, or presently. "Mousse" - the French for "really good pudding". So, "anon a mousse" would really mean "more or less, right now I'm no more than pudding." Well, I don't want to be thought of that way, either.

A week ago, I started this blog, and suggested that I might remain anonymous for a while. I had some concerns that I might not have the freedom to say what I wanted to say - in a written context. I am somewhat obligated by my position to be rather proper in my job, and certainly in the pulpit. But this is a different medium. Here, I intend to say what I want. Those who come here will do so because they want. So, enough of the anonymity!! Out of my proverbial literary closet I come. You can tell your friends, your relatives, even your enemies - Sojourning Pilgrim is here to stay.

By the way, I changed the marquee at the church this morning to read - "Our pews are comfy - come take a nap this Sunday!!"

2 Comments:

At 22 June, 2005, Blogger Dr. Mike Kear said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 24 June, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This very funny. --Tim Youmans

 

Post a Comment

<< Home