05 July 2005

Thoughts on freedom

Stick with me for a minute - I'm actually headed somewhere with this . . .

You all need to read my friend's blog today on Reconstructionism (http://emmaustheory.blogspot.com/2005/07/independence-day-reconstructionist.html).
This outstanding article gives perspective on a part of why I choose the theological path I have chosen. I had mixed feelings yesterday during all of the independence celebration - those who push these days for an ever increasing integration of God and country seem to express one side of the discussion - and I quote one gentleman with whom I spoke yesterday - "People out there want to get God out of our courts and out of our schools. That just may be the demise of our country."

Now, I make an astounding statement - some of you won't believe I can make this statement, coming from the left of center - I don't want God out of the schools, nor do I want God out of the government. There, I said it. But let me go further. Neither do I want Government or the schools mandating that faith must be a part of the normative experience of their constituents. Faith which is coerced is not faith. Faith, by its very definition, is an individual experience, and you can only enjoy collective expressions of faith as a result of individual expressions of faith. So, at the same time in which I would accept in our government and in our schools historic references to God and people of faith, I would not accept coerced, mandated, forced expressions of faith by those who are in power or leadership in those institutions toward those who are served by those institutions.

If we learned anything from our recent lectionary wandering through the book of Genesis, it is that faith is not easy. Faith is a difficult enterprise, and faith in God is not synonomous with allegiance to our nation. Truth of the matter is that there are many Christian people who bear allegiance to other nations, and there are many non-Christian people who bear an astounding allegiance to our great nation.

That's what I was thinking as I watched the fireworks last night, and as I stood in honor of America and my freedom - my freedom first in Christ, and my freedom as a citizen of this wonderful country. I was reminded again - I am sojourning through this land on my way to a better place.

2 Comments:

At 05 July, 2005, Blogger Dr. Mike Kear said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 06 July, 2005, Blogger Keith said...

well said too!

I think some people fail to realize that the coin goes both ways. Government can effect religion to much, and visa versa.

I think the religious left isn't so concerned with secularism (which we are painted with) as we are concerned with allowing multiple view points and ideas. (which somehow some people confuse tolerance with advocation)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home