02 November 2005

Pet Peeves - Part Deux

Part of this one comes from the fact that I live in a rather conservative town, in a very conservative state (not "state of mind" - the actual State of Oklahoma).

It's this presupposition that everyone thinks the way you do when it comes to political matters, theoligical matters, social matters . . . ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Before my thinking days, I lived in another small town in Texas. It was 1980 - Daddy Bush was running against that actor from California in the Republican primary, and I had determined, as a good, moderate Republican (I said it was before my thinking days), to vote for George. I grew up in Houston, and George first ran for public office from that district, with the campaign slogan, "Let George do it." (boy, that one's loaded, huh!) Anyway, I went downtown, parked in front of the courthouse, and started walking across the street to the Abstract company (where the 45 Republicans in that county had their primary) to cast my vote for old George ( W. was still drinking and running around - hadn't met Laura, yet). I ran into Jewell Mara - dairyman - big hands - could crush my smallish, piano playing hands without thinking about it - and he asked me what I was doing. I said that I was going to vote, and he noticed which direction I was traveling, and he said, "You're going the wrong way!" To which I replied with all the smart-aleckness of a 25 year old, "No sir, I'm headed the right way (Again, before my thinking days)!!! To which he gasped, grabbed me by the arm (remember the big hands - ouch) and he said, "Son, you're not gonna vote Republican, are you??????" I looked at him, wrested my arm from his grasp, and said, "Jewell, my Daddy told me that when I got old enough, I could vote any way I wanted to!!!!!!!!!! (Notice there are more exclamation marks with each exchange). Jewell said, "Son, when you're in Rome, you do as the Romans do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" To which I replied, "I'll try to remember that when I'm in Rome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" And I went and voted for the start of the dynasty (again, before my thinking days).

Having switched parties, I now find myself on the short end of the other stick. Seems I am destined to root for the underdog. But my point is clear, I think - one cannot assume anything about the other fellow (or gal) in terms of political beliefs, religious thought, social expectations - and we must all be tolerant and respectful of the other person's view.

1 Comments:

At 02 November, 2005, Blogger Leslee said...

well said doc!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home