15 November 2005

Book Recommendation


I finished reading this newest Capon offering while I was sitting in a hunting blind on my deer lease in Texas. It's hard for me to explain the glee with which I encounter Capon - he has rather single-handedly changed much of my adolescent theology into something with which I can approach the middle and latter years of adulthood.

I won't do a review for you here. I will say that this book is a series of 26 brief articles in which Robert Farrar Capon skillfully weaves his knowledge of cooking with his thoughts surrounding theology. Some of his points are subtle - almost too subtle to catch - while others are front-and-center-in-your-face. He also plays with the language(s) extensively, which adds to my delight.

I share this paragraph with you to whet your appetite.

"Simple," Pietro answered. "Grace in no way encourages indifference to moral considerations. Quietism (to give the monstrous proposition its proper name) is not an option for Christians. We may not sit idly by while evil goes about seeking whom it may devour. And the reason we may not has deep theological roots. The Word, the Second Person of the trinity, who in Jesus took away the sins of the world by the grace of his death and resurrection, is the same Word who made the world to begin with. And when he gave his creatures their various natures, he indicated by that gift the precise qualities he loves about them: the chickenbreastness of chicken breasts, for example - or to come to the point, the elegant humanness of human beings. He made them to be themselves, not something else. Therefore he is agains chicken breasts being turned into rubber and he is agains human beings turning themselves into child molesters."

This is a Cowley Publications book, and will cost you about $14. Bon appetit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home